Quick Facts Of Clayton Kershaw
|Celebrated Name||Clayton Kershaw|
|Birth Name||Clayton Edward Kershaw|
|Birth Nation||United States|
|Place Of Birth||Dallas, Texas|
|Father||Christopher George Kershaw|
|High School||Highland Park High School|
|University||Texas A&M University|
|Net Worth||$40 million USD|
|Salary||$11 million USD|
Clayton Kershaw is an American professional baseball player who currently plays as the pitcher for the Los Angels Dodgers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also won three Cy Young Awards and the National League Most Valuable Player Award in 2014. He was honored with Branch Ricky Award for his humanitarian work.
What is Clayton Kershaw famous for?
- Famous as American professional baseball pitcher who plays for Los Angels Dodgers.
- Recently on 9th July 2019, Clayton Kershaw played for National league in a 4-3 loss against American League in All-star game.
- He was credited for the team’s loss due to his poor pitching in All-star games.
When was Clayton Kershaw born?
Clayton Kershaw was born on 19th March 1988 in Dallas, Texas, US. His birth name is Clayton Edward Kershaw. American is his nationality. His ethnicity is White. Pisces is his zodiac sign.
He was born to Christopher George Kershaw(father) and Marianne Kershaw(mother). He has no siblings. When he was 10 years old, his parents got divorced and he lived with his mother. His father was a musician and his mother was the daughter of the Astronomer, Clyde Tombaugh’s brother.
He was raised in Texas. He did his schooling from Highland Park High School and he started playing baseball in his school days. Later, he attended Texas A&M University. In 2006, he posted a 13-0 record with an earned average(ERA) of 0.77 and recorded 139 strikeouts.
As a junior, he also played for USA baseball’s Junior National Team in the Pan Am Championship. He also won the Gatorade National Player of the year award and High School baseball player of the year award.
- Clayton Kershaw started his professional baseball career by being selected by Los Angels Dodgers with the seventh overall pick in the 2006 Major League Baseball(MLB) draft with the highest signing bonus, $2.5 million at that time.
- He was assigned in the Gulf Coast League(GCL) dodgers where he pitched in 37 innings by striking out 54 batters. In 2007, he got promoted to the Great Lakes Loons and he recorded 7-5 with a 2.77 ERA.
- On 24th May 2008, he was promoted to the major league in Los Angels Dodgers. His debut for the club on 25th May against St. Louis Cardinals was one of the most anticipated debuts for Dodgers since 2005.
- He had a record of 2.79 ERA with 185 strikeouts in the 2009 season. In 2010, he finished the season with 2.91 ERA, 212 strikeouts and with 13 wins out of 23 matches.
- In 2011, he was named as the Opening Day Starter for that season. He became the first club’s starter to strike out the side in the 9th inning after Sandy Koufax. He finished the season with 21 wins and 248 strikeouts. He became the second-youngest player to win National League Cy Young Award after Dwight Gooden. In the same year, he was also awarded the Warren Spahn Award.
- He extended his contract with the club on a two year deal of $19 million on 7th Feb 2012. He appeared in the 2012 Major League Baseball Star-Game. He became the runner-up to win the Cy Young Award 2012 loosing to RA Dickey.
- In 2013, he won his second Cy Young Award and Warren Spahn Award. He again was selected in All-star game 2013. In the same year, he extended his contract with the club in a seven-year deal of $215 million and the deal became the richest in MLB history.
- He became the opening day starter for the club in 2014 for the fourth consecutive time. He finished the season with 21 wins in 24 matches with 1.77 ERA. He won his third CY Young Award and became the National League Most valuable player(MVP) 2014.
- In 2015, he made his fifth straight opening day starter for the club. On 10th May, he recorded his 1500th career strikeout. He became the 11th player in the league to strikeout 300 batters in the single season. He finished the season with 2.13 ERA and 301 strikeouts in 233 innings. In the season 2016, he became injured and couldn’t appear in all the matches for the club.
- He had his seventh straight consecutive opening day starter for the club. He became the second-fastest pitcher to have 2000 strikeouts. He had his first world series appearance in 2017. He was selected as a starting pitcher on Baseball America’s All-MLB team.
- In 2018, he made his second World Series Appearance. He suffered left biceps tendinitis on 6th May. He finished the season with 2.73 ERA and 155 strikeouts. He signed a three year deal with the club and extended his contract with the club for $93 million contracts.
- Recently on 9th July 2019, he played for the national league in a 4-3 loss against American league in All-star game.
How is Clayton Kershaw’s personal life?
The American baseball player, Clayton Kershaw is married to his girlfriend, Ellen Melson. They tied the knot on 4th December 2010. They started dating each other since 2003. The couple is blessed with a daughter, Cali Ann and a son, Charley Clayton. His family currently lives in Dallas, Texas.
He also appeared in an episode of the show “New Girl” that aired on Fox television channel. He along with his wife co-authored a book “Arise: Live out Your Faith and Dreams on Whatever Field You Find Yourself” which was released on 10th January 2012.
This book was about their Christian faith. He donated all the money raised from the book to help the orphan children and poor people. He has been raising funds to build an orphanage in Zambia and has been donating millions from his strikeout in the season.
What is the net worth of Clayton Kershaw?
The American baseball player, Clayton Kershaw has an estimated net worth of $40 million USD as of 2019.
He earns an annual salary of $11 million USD in 2019. His worth includes all his property and his present earnings.
He also earns additional income from endorsement deals with Wilson Sporting Goods(Gloves), Under Armour(Shoes), Muscle Milk, and Subway.
How tall is Clayton Kershaw?
The 31 years aged, Clayton Kershaw has an athletic body. He stands 6ft 4inches tall and has a body weight of 100kg(228 pounds).
He has a fair complexion with blonde hair and blue eyes.
Did You Know?
- He is the great-nephew of Astronomer, Clyde Tombaugh who discovered pluto.
- He was in high school with Jordan Walden and Matthew Stafford.